Wednesday 1 December 2010

A gallery visit


I’m making an effort to go and see shows with other people these days. Apart from bouncing ideas off each other – there’s an opportunity to see other kinds of work that I wouldn’t necessarily have chosen. A recent visit to the Angela Bulloch show at Simon Lee Gallery got me thinking…

I was really struck by a couple of aspects in the work – one being her continual use of the ‘pixel’ to reconstruct cultural phenomena the other, using the idea of a mechanically produced unit. I found her idea of the ‘international pixel’ light box – with its minimal but domestic attributes very compelling. When I was scoping around the mass-produced territory myself, somehow it all amounted to a ‘universally’ accessible aesthetic. I floundered for along time because of that, but ‘international’ sounds more relevant to ideas surrounding ‘aspiration’ in our increasingly ‘globalised’ cultural and economic circumstances. I suppose ‘international’ could just relate to prevalence, another kind of colonialism…

No comments:

Post a Comment